Edward "Al" Johnson
1885 - 1949
Edward “Al” Johnson was an aviation pioneer, an early Air Mail pilot, a McCook Field test pilot and personally selected the site for the Dayton International Airport. He was a prime mover in promoting the growth of commercial aviation in Dayton, which started in 1921 with a small, 70 acre flying field that was moved to a 320 acre site in Vandalia in 1928 that has grown into the 4500 acre James M. Cox Dayton International Airport. Al Johnson operated the Wilmington Pike flying field for 7 years, carrying over 15,000 passengers without a single injury. In addition to the flying service he operated the Johnson Airplane and Supply Company and a flying school. This important early Dayton aviator also designed the Johnson Airspeed Indicator and the AVIGO compass.